Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Slow VMWare Player after upgrade to Windows 11

Recently my Windows 10 PC was upgraded to Windows 11. One problem which I noticed after that was slowness of VMWare Player on Windows 11 comparing with Windows 10. There are several posts about similar problem which may be found in internet - almost all of them suggest few things: turn off Hyper-V Windows feature, run command "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off", disable memory integrity in Windows Security > Device Security > Core Isolation details. I tried them but it didn't help.

I also tried to update to the latest VMWare Player 17 which according to it's description fully supports Windows 11 as host operating system. That didn't help either.

Also some posts suggested obvious things like increasing memory and CPU. I tried to increase memory a bit (virtual machine already had 16Gb RAM and 8 processor cores which should be enough. Remember that on Windows 10 it worked very fast) without success.

Then I tried opposite thing: reduce number of processor cores from 8 to 4:

and surprisingly it helped! VMWare Player became fast again. This solution may look non logical but may help someone so I decided to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment